Saturday, December 12, 2009

A New Way to Wrap Christmas Gifts

Last month I mentioned in a post that I overheard a lady in the fabric store talking about sewing Christmas-themed pillowcases to wrap her grandchildren's gifts. I loved the idea, not only is a pillowcase perfect for wrapping odd-shaped gifts, but it's also practical. Since I don't have a sewing machine (yet), I can't sew pillowcases, but I can buy them and decorate them, right? Right! I found some cheap white pillowcases at Target (two for $5.99) and used some of my trusty fabric paint from my Thanksgiving handprint turkey project. I found a cool (and free!) Christmas tree light font online and printed out each child's name on regular printer paper in a giant-size font. I taped all the pieces together and inserted them into the pillowcase along with the words "Merry Christmas". The black ink on the paper was clearly visible through the pillowcase so I could use it as a guide for painting. I let the paint dry overnight, dropped in the gift, and used a ribbon to tie it closed. It's a fun and easy project and a cute way to add a little Christmas touch to any bedroom once the gift is unwrapped. It's likely this Christmas will not be the end of my pillowcase wrapping, I'd venture to guess it might just become a tradition!

No comments: