Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Christmas Goodies

You might say I'm on a sort of cute holiday treat kick lately. For the last several years, my family and I always bake and decorate individual bunny cakes for Easter dessert. Then recently I discovered the cute turkey cupcakes that I made for Thanksgiving. And now, we're on to Christmas and there are so many ideas for cute holiday goodies. This past weekend I made about 80 pretzel snowmen for my neighborhood cookie/candy exchange. John and I stayed up late two nights in a row dipping pretzels and decorating them. We had fun doing it and I can only imagine the fun (and mess) once Stella is old enough to join us.

Directions for pretzel snowman: Dip a large pretzel rod in melted white chocolate. You'll need a spoon or knife to spread the chocolate about two-thirds of the way down. Lay the coated pretzel on wax paper, then add mini chocolate chips for eyes and buttons. Using a kitchen shears, cut a small carrot-shaped piece from a candy orange slice for the nose. When the chocolate is dry finish the snowman off with a couple pieces of Twizzlers Pull-and-Peel Strawberry Licorice for a scarf.
Also, check out more cute treats that showed up at the cookie exchange. I think they're all adorable and I can't wait to try making them. The first is a little mouse. I don't have detailed directions for making it, but I can give you the ingredient list: the bottom is half of a Double-stuffed Oreo, the body is a chocolate covered cherry, the head is a Hershey's kiss and the ears are slivered almonds. Melted chocolate holds everything in place and red and green decorating gel add the finishing touches of eyes and a little holly leaf.
The santas, snowmen and reindeer below are way too cute! I will post the ingredients/instructions for them as soon as I have them. These are all great projects for an assembly line so it's fun to involve more than one person. Kids will not only love to make them, but to eat them too.

No comments: